Imperfection, believe it or not, is not the opposite of perfection, Instead, imperfection is the state of acceptance of self through love. Without seeing who you truly are, you would never know what’s necessary to change as well as what’s necessary to keep. Perfectionism just causes everything to appear quite murky in our world. Here are 5 sure ways to allow yourself to live as you are to ultimately find that much-coveted freedom in imperfection.
I Am Free To Be Me
Freedom In Imperfection
“Accept me as I am!” has been the battle cry of so many of us throughout the ages. Proclaiming this does not mean that a person never sets out to change detrimental habits, nor does it mean that a person is promoting laziness or a lack of ambition. What it does mean, however, is that this individual has attempted to accept him or herself wherever it is that he or she stands in hope of getting that same acceptance from others. There are things that a person will come to like about him or herself, and there are things that he or she will come to hate as well. If you are paying attention you will see that it all works together, the so-called good and the bad, to ultimately bring about the person that you are striving to become.
True change in your life begins as an act of love. You can lose weight when you love who you are right now at your current weight. This means that your life, self-esteem, and happiness are never tied to any outside condition. Anything done out of self-hate doesn’t usually last because you are always criticizing your efforts. Operating from this mindset often leads to self-sabotage which ends up perpetuating more of the same self-hate. Nothing is ever good enough because you start off not liking anything about yourself from the beginning.
There is nothing at all healthy about that type of lifestyle. Embracing your imperfections is celebrating what makes you unique. And to do this, you must become reacquainted with yourself through a series of steps that will show you your own personal value that has always been waiting to be re-discovered by you all along.
5 Ways To Find Freedom In Imperfection
- Take some time to do some serious introspection. Don’t be afraid to look at yourself honestly. Write down what is positive about yourself and what is negative. Find ways to change the wording of those negatives so they are now reflecting positive aspects that you can now embrace. If you think that the nose on your face is big, try shifting your thinking by seeing your “natural” features as your very own unique brand. Play on your unique brand by finding successful, fun hacks that will make your nose appear smaller. Create a medium where you first show off your big nose unapologetic. Have fun with it. This will require a lot of reconditioning from what the majority of society has said is beautiful, but if we are each to have a healthy acceptance of “self” then we will need to remove a lot of damaging societal programming.
- When you discover what you do like and don’t and stay true to it as often as you can, you will find it easier to give an honest answer to someone inviting you to an event or activity you’d rather not attend. Saying no, and being okay about it is a much-needed step to living authentically with your flaws and all. You don’t have to do and be what everyone else thinks you should be.
Read also: How To Put Yourself First And Be Ok
- Don’t be afraid to try something different like dressing in bold colors, or changing your hairstyle. Experiment a little, and be willing to embrace whatever comes of the situation. Do the change for yourself only, not for the reaction of others.
- Laugh more. Laughter promotes and releases those “feel good” endorphins. Take time out of your busy schedule to have a boatload of fun on purpose. Most importantly, rest. Relaxing often reduces stress which promotes a healthy immune system.
- Explore your creative side. Being creative doesn’t always mean painting a portrait, or writing your first novel. You can tap into your creativity by helping someone put together a financial or stock portfolio, or by simply doing yard work. Doing an act that excites you, whatever it is, stimulates your heart and mind together which will get the juices flowing, causing you to become more creative in other areas of your life.
Allow yourself to be human, flawed, and free by embracing your imperfect life, perfectly.
What do you do to override the current conditioning to accept yourself and become more authentic? Let us know what you think by leaving a comment below. Also, check back with us to receive information on how to achieve a positive lifestyle, as well as new hacks and tools to use to find your freedom in imperfections.